Sunday, September 28

blogging rut...

what do you write about when you don't know what to write about? Do you put up something pointless, or air out your pointless thoughts? do you force your way thru it so that you can find something meaningful in endless abyss of blah? Do you talk about what you ate for breakfast [and english muffin] but how it didn't fill you up or that you found a new song [Dream Catch Me, by Newton Faulkner]that you really like? Do you talk about the traffic [uuuugh], the weather [it is lovely, thank you], how great your family is [amazing!] or how much you miss you friends [i need a big hug]? Do you talk about the struggles you are dealing with and and how you don't know what the right decision is? Or do you continue to search for the great in the good?
I think about writing something everyday.
Then, as you could guess, i point blank tell myself "that's not good enough. You have to give them [the collective them] something that will bring them back for more. And Jenna, this is not it..." I am a person that is too critical of all creativeness inside of me so therefore, i get caught in the thick of not-doing. Does that make sense? Tell me something...have you ever been out in those same shoes?

I want to create, formulate, innovate, deep think, ponder, shout it out on canvas, paper, my journal, a napkin, or peck it out on my computer.
Are you with me creative friend? Do you too, want to jump out of the sticky muck of blah-land and lazy thinking back into the lime-light of creating and making more with your mind and your hands and heart?

"Out beyond ideas of right doing and wrong doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." -Rumi

developing your creative self:

1) art journal and sketchbook [it will strengthen your artistic voice]

II. create a self portrait
**don't be shy!

C) make a creative sanctuary (where are you most comfortable and at ease?)

4) save newspaper articles for interesting words to use

5) take photos of your worn art supplies or creative station to USE in your art.

VI) create an altered book travel album. Pick up ephemera EVERYwhere you go. (i.e. napkins from coffee shops, sugar packets, flyers, postcards, etc. EPHEMERA is a range of collectible items that were originally designed to be short lived.)

SEVEN) buy CHOCOLATE! use the foil...

8)take pictures of your loved ones hands.

niner) go to a hardware store and just SEE what you find.

10)what is your INTERNAL chatter? write it down...

11) have an art party! [have fun!]

Remember: one of the secrets of a happy life is continuous small treats.

So what do you in the times of stagnation? Times of dryness? Lack of imagination is starvation...and i am looking for some good food.

7 comments:

holly wynne said...

Love this. Love the little thought inserts in brackets. Love "Dream Catch Me." Love you.

blaire said...

i miss you. i miss hearing your thoughts. i enjoy reading them, but i'd rather HEAR them ..

i also am starving to be creative.

i despise the busy-ness of life.

i miss and love you immensely!
amen.

Anonymous said...

Awww..Jenna...this is so good. I was just thinking I have all this creativity in me (like finishing my blog for one!) that needs to come out & sometimes I just don't know where to begin. Totally relate. Love you!

Rebecca said...

Jenna, you and I are kindred spirits. I had no idea until I read this. ;)

The hardware store is a place of undiscovered treasure.

I love flea markets because I love to walk around and look at things that were treasures to someone long gone. I want to know who those people are in those pictures and how did those pictures wind up abandonded in a flea market.

If I could create my dream job, I would clean out attics for a living. LOL

Anonymous said...

R U Serious?

Jenna Cox said...

why yes I am...

Jessica Davison said...

Hey Jenna it's Jessica Davison. Josh's wife. I was great seeing you and Matthew at Kelly's wedding. Hope to see y'all soon!!!